being a parent sure can suck

Through the last few months of Elliot’s less-than-desirable behaviour, I’ve said numerous times (both to myself and to others) that I’m glad none of this stuff is happening at daycare. It’s been reassuring to me that he saves his worst behaviour for me and Greg.

Today at daycare pickup I found out the line’s been crossed. Sandra, one of his caregivers, flagged me down to tell me that Elliot’s been behaving badly recently. Hitting, kicking, baby talk and screaming. It sounded all too familiar. My stomach sank as she described his last two days at daycare.

I found it very awkward to talk about when he was standing right there, which she understood, so we have a meeting tomorrow morning to talk about it more. But in the meantime I feel like shit. There are a few thoughts running around in my mind…maybe there’s actually something wrong with him developmentally…I don’t want his caregivers to stop liking him…what the hell will we do if he gets kicked out of daycare?…how are we going to fix this?

I’m hoping that Sandra will have some useful advice for us. I’m not sure what to expect out of this meeting, except that I want to feel better than I do right now. And I want to have a game plan of some kind.

I talked to my sister about this tonight, and the first thing she said to me is that Elliot IS a sweet child, and this is a behavioural issue. I have to remember that. I also have to remember that we’re not in this alone. There are plenty of resources out there to help us if needed.

The icing on the cake was after a perfectly good bedtime this evening, he asked for something that was in Amy’s room. I told him I couldn’t get it for him because Amy was already asleep. He proceeded to throw two cars that he had in bed with him. So I took them out of the room. He then threw his soother. I picked it up, gave it to him, and told him if he threw it again he’d lose it for the night. He looked me straight in the eye and dropped it on the floor. I picked it up and left the room. That was over an hour ago. I’ve just spent the last hour plus listening to him cry out for his soother. He’s apologized for throwing it, he’s pleaded, he’s screamed and I think he probably threw something else when I wasn’t in the room. I lay down with him for a few more minutes just now and then told him I was going to bed too, and I haven’t heard from him since.

Probably not my best parenting decision, taking it away from him (this will be the first night he’s EVER slept without it), but once I took it away I felt like I had to stick to my guns. But I wonder if any of it gets through to him.

I hope it does soon. I’m feeling quite helpless.

Comments are closed.