rejoining the rat race

I’ve just finished my second day back at work. Two days down, thousands to go. There were ups and downs. Getting out of the house was a bit stressful for me, but for no real reason. It actually went pretty smoothly. I think I was just out of practise.

Elliot’s drop-off on Monday was pretty seamless and Greg did Amy’s, which involved a few tears, but not many. I was met getting off the elevator at work by my two bosses and a friend, all of them with hugs. Everyone had warm hellos for me, and on my desk there was a bouquet of flowers, four framed pictures of my kids and a gift bag filled with goodies and a new mug. Plus a co-worker had baked a bunch of goodies in my honour. I couldn’t have felt more welcome.

Dinner Monday was a bit hectic, but we managed to get through it (through cries of “Mum, play with me”), got the kids bathed, lunches ready, and Greg and I even managed to watch an hour of TV.

Elliot’s drop-off today was again fine, and I did Amy’s as well. That one wasn’t fine. I walked down the driveway hearing her screams fade. I called once I was at work and she’d calmed down a bit, but it took her an hour before she was herself again.

Dinner tonight went a lot more smoothly, probably because Elliot played outside and Amy was in a much better mood then the previous evening. She’s definitely on the mend from her cold.

Work is a bit slow as we’re waiting for some contracts to get signed, but I’m muddling my way through. I know things will pick up eventually. It feels both strange and familiar to be there. There are four new people (which is a lot when you only work in an office of 15 people), and they’ve been there for a while so they’ve established relationships with the people I already know. I’m sitting at my same desk with my same podmates, which is great.

I went for a walk on Monday at lunch at saw a few mums with strollers. I felt a twinge of something, but it didn’t last long. I am definitely ready to be back at work, I am just looking forward to it feeling normal again.

I’m thankful that my return will be so gradual, mostly because the kids aren’t plunged into four days of daycare a week. And it’s nice for me as well, to get back into the work thing slowly.

Our evenings won’t be as relaxed as we try to get everything ready for the next day, and it’s making me think about what day I’ll take off when I do go back four days a week. I was originally thinking of taking Fridays off, but I’m wondering if Wednesdays would be better. Then the kids get a midweek break from daycare and Greg and I get a break from frantic evenings. I might try it that way and see how it goes.

Speaking of frantic evenings…I’m going to end this now so I can spend some of this evening relaxing with my husband. After I do our menu plan, of course.

Comments are closed.